Overview of Grant Process

Since the inception of its Research Grants and Fellowships Program in 1984, the Tourette Association has awarded more than $21 million to 250 scientists working in basic scientific and clinical TS research. Projects funded by the organization have provided crucial insights into many areas of the disorder. Funding from the Tourette Association has also encouraged many investigators to become and/or remain involved in pursuing TS research. The Tourette Association funds basic and clinical research studies on all aspects of TS. Any study that has the potential to contribute to the treatment or understanding of TS will be considered.

Eligibility

• Investigators are required to have an advanced degree such as a Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent.
• Applications from overseas investigators are welcome.
• Investigators from non-profit and for-profit organizations can apply.
• Previous experience in the field of movement disorders is desirable, but not essential.

Funding Levels

Post-doc training fellowship: up to $50,000 for one year.
Research Grant Awards: up to $75,000 for one year or up to $150,000 for two years.

Budget

The Tourette Association will consider reasonable requests for

• Salaries (for US institutions, NIH salary caps apply)
• Laboratory supplies and other research-related expenses
• Travel expenses for investigators (up to $1,500 per year)
• Research equipment up to $5,000 (excluding equipment for personal or office use [e.g. computers])
• Indirect costs of up to 10% may be included, but the total value of the grant may not exceed the levels stated above

Applications are Evaluated on the Basis of the Following Information

• Candidate’s qualifications and objectives
• Candidate’s experience relevant to the project
• Methodology
• Significance/relevance to the TS field
• Percentage of time to be devoted to project
• Adequacy and availability of research facilities and other project support
• Ability to complete project in stated time-frame

Clinical Studies

Applicants for research grants involving clinical treatment are urged to read the following two documents:
Considerations for Writing Clinical Treatment Studies Proposals
Guidelines for Clinical Studies in Tourette syndrome

How to Apply

For preliminary screening, a pre-proposal briefly describing the scientific basis and relevance of the proposed project is required. Pre-proposal application forms can be submitted on the Current Grant Cycle Information page from August of each year.

Applicants invited to submit a full research grant proposal will be provided with instructions for downloading application forms and uploading the completed forms to our website.

Generalized Time Line

  • For specific deadlines for the next grant cycle, please refer to current grant announcement.
  • Pre-proposal Deadline: early November each year
  • Proposal Deadline: mid February each year
  • Awards Announced: mid July each year
    Commencement of Award
  • Each award starts on the date that the first grant payment is made and extends for 12 (or 24) calendar months after that date. The first payment will be made only after all required documentation (grant acceptance form, patent policy form, indemnity policy, IRB/IACAC) has been received.

Payment Schedule

1 Year Awards: 75% will be paid upon receipt of all documentation. The remaining 25% will be paid only after a satisfactory final report, written by the grantee, has been received.

2 Year Awards: 50% will be paid upon receipt of all documentation. The 2nd payment (25% of the award) will be made 12 months after the commencement of the grant, provided that a satisfactory interim report, written by the grantee, is received. The final payment (25% of the award) will be made 24 months after the commencement of the grant, provided that a satisfactory final report is received.

Progress & Interim Reports

This report should be approximately 3 pages in length and must be emailed to denise.walker@tourette.org as a MS Word or Adobe PDF™ attachment to the Tourette Association Research Office

Final Reports

This report should be approximately 5 pages in length and must be emailed to denise.walker@tourette.org as a MS Word or Adobe PDF™ attachment to the Tourette Association Research Office. The report must describe progress made in the project particularly with reference to the original research objectives outlined in the grant application. Relevant data in the form of tables, figures, graphs, etc. must be included in the report.

No Cost Extension

Grantees may request up to two 6-month no-cost extensions. In exceptional circumstances a request for a third no-cost extension will be considered. A brief (2-3 page) progress report must accompany each request. Requests for a no cost extension should be sent as an email attachment to heather.cowley@tourette.org at the Tourette Association Research Office.

Inquiries

Please call 718-224-2999, ext. 222 or email denise.walker@tourette.org